Thursday, April 5, 2012

Why I Never should have Chosen to Study International Development (and Why I’m Glad that I Did)


I’ve always thought that the world is a pretty complicated place.  I’ve never really understood what sort of things I really ought to do or the sort of person that I really ought to be.  The moral ambiguity intrinsic to the human experience has often frustrated me.  But before university, I was pretty sure that I knew one thing for certain: I knew that helping others less fortunate than me was a good thing to do.  And thus I believed that studying international development would provide me with a clear understanding of what it is that the world really needs, thereby piercing through the clouds of the nebulous morality enshrouding all of life’s decisions with a ray of indubitable clarity and purpose.  Certain facts in my mind seemed indisputable: poor people need help, we know how to help them, and we have the resources to do so.  The world just needed motivated people who were willing to act in order for things to get better.

It is obvious to me now, as I’m sure it is to any of my classmates reading this blog, that this belief was somewhat misguided.  That’s because, as I soon found out, nothing at all is certain in international development.  As it turns out, poor people don’t necessarily need help.  And often when we think we know how to help them, we only make things worse.  And resources are not unlimited, which means that short term improvements in human well-being may actually make everything more difficult in the long run.  In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever studied a problem in my three years of university so far, where all of the ‘experts’ agreed on any one ‘right’ course of action.

In fact, if moral clarity was something that I had really wanted, then international development was probably one of the worst areas of study that I could have chosen.  This is true not only because every situation in the field is so complicated, but because every problem in international development has incredibly high stakes, since every development decision has the potential to interfere with the life of some other human being in a fundamental way.  When international development institutions debate whether or not to provide food aid to people in need, when they consider whether or not health care provision is a viable option in a remote area, or when they consider whether or not loans should be used as incentives to reform governments to promote growth, the implications of these decisions on individual humans living in the Global South can be life-changing.  And while it may seem arrogant to assume that the choices we make in the Global North can be so important to the rest of the world, the massive levels of inequality present in global society mean that such power often really does lie in the hands of a few well-meaning but confused North Americans.

To be involved in international development means, therefore, that one must become embroiled in the difficult ethical questions surrounding development practice.  Through my time in university, I’ve come to the realization that such questions will never be avoidable, and I’m glad that I’ve chosen to engage these issues, rather than ignore them.  Despite my lack of understanding, I still know that I’m pretty fond of the Earth and of most of the people who live here.  And I’d rather do something about the challenges that humanity faces and will continue to face than ignore them and hope that they solve themselves.  And while I don’t believe that my contribution will ever be meaningful enough to really make a significant difference, I might as well do what I can.  Because somebody has to, and it may as well be me.

9 comments:

  1. Danny,
    Am i allowed to say that? :)
    your questions are good and I can see that you have put lots of thought into this blog. You are on the right road to discovery about who you are and the world around you. When I was in College studying Social Work I wanted to save all the children..but soon realized that was a false reality. i couldnt save all the children but i needed to be content that i could make a difference in one life. Being content with what we are given is important. Even in social work the decisions i make impact families. It took me a long time to realize that families should be the decision makers with how they want change to happen in their lives. I wonder if it is the same in international development? That it is the people who live in these countries that have the voice to make the difference and that you are there to help facilitate it and not be the one thinking that it is you that has to create the change or the decision. Just a thought...Im not a big academic brain and not always good at debates but I know I am a heart brain that cares for others and my nephew and his blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely, Dan. Everyone needs to take a stance that it's up to them, individually, to step up and work to make a difference. I don't think we should underestimate what one person can do, you may not be able to see the change you make - it may not be physically tangible but maybe your efforts will encourage someone else or make an impression on somebody that changes their life for the better.

    You said that international development program doesn't provide moral clarity, but you are practicing and learning first hand moral implications of any decision and I'm sure that's much more impacting and real to you than a regular may prove. Good Luck with all your endeavors Dan, I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Dan. You're right, it is easy to underestimate the plethora of issues, impacts, and outcomes that a development decision might have, and playing trial-and-error with communities at stake is a dangerous proposition. But then again, throwing ones hands up in defeat at the uncertainty of it all accomplishes nothing either. While indev might not have provided you with the "right" answers, hopefully it has given you the tools to make a reasonably estimated guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dan it was great to read that and see aspects of a field that I don't have the pleasure of being much informed of. I have seen international aid issues rising up after Libya and had been reading reports of aid workers becoming targets in areas. Amazing how complicated attempting to help and aid people can be. Great lengths can be made though with honest effort and I'm sure that while you may not see your own future "footprint", the work you're doing now will impact progress and at least discussion. Good luck Dan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Dan,
    Nice post, I have similar times when i just stare at the large wall of problems and get a little depressed, and then after considering the alternative, I am back on track!I think we should print out large posters saying 'Keep calm and think of the alternatives' to hang up over the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another way that I've found International Development Studies to provide helpful (but also inadequate) frameworks is in looking at "third world" situations here in Canada. The impacts of colonialism are also found in our own country but sometimes fly under the radar of InDev discourse. I wonder if your reflections on InDev have changed how you understand First Nations communities in our society?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award! Check it out: http://kylamckee.wordpress.com/2012/06/20/versatile-blogger-award-21-2/

    ReplyDelete